Effective Onboarding and reducing the impacts of ‘Premature Evacuation’ - The Second S – Structure
In the previous article we touched on our central first S of Shared values and proven strategies for successful alignment, effective onboarding and reducing the impacts of ‘premature evacuation’.
Today we are looking at the Second S Structure. Mastering the formal and informal structures to ensure employees understand the formal reporting lines, as well as the hidden networks for tapping into information and influence.
Mastering the formal and informal structures
We can assist employees and candidates early in the onboarding process to learn much about the nature of an organisation, for what is not immediately apparent. Usually just 10% of the iceberg is visible above the water, with the rest (90%) hidden below. Structure demonstrates the placement of individuals, departments and leadership in relation to each other. But those are just the tip of the iceberg. Under the surface are the informal structures, employees need to discover the hidden networks which facilitate the exchange of information and influence. As you can see, although the highly visible core of Structure is objective, it is a unique element within the McKinsey 7-S framework, for it has subjective factors too.
Benefits of understanding organisational structures
Grasping the way formal and informal structures work, acts to break down some of the barriers new employees may experience. In particular, it helps communicate effectively and confidently, and reduce voluntary separations within probation period.
My practical, proven strategies for successful alignment, effective onboarding and reducing the impacts of ‘premature evacuation’ is based on the famed McKinsey 7-S alignment framework.
In our next post we will be looking at some of the main points of the third S Style and in future posts we will be looking at the remaining S’s Skill, Strategy, Staff, Systems for effective onboarding and how you can reduce impact of ‘premature evacuation’.
Greg Weiss is Australia’s leading career coach. He is the author of “So You Got The Job! WTF Is Next?”. The book prescribes a proven, practical 7-step guideline for new employees so they succeed, rather than fail their probation periods and beyond. Find out more about the book at https://www.wtfisnext.wtf
He is the Founder and Director of Onboff an online training and coaching platform that helps HR specialists, coaches and recruiters to deliver exceptional onboarding and offboarding experiences for employees.
He also hosts The Keep: The Employee Experience podcast and runs CareerSupport365.
Keyword: lifelong learner